The RAMP VM itself can be signed, currently signing is only supported for J2ME MIDP 2.0 and Android based VMs.
The deployment platform requires a private key and certificate that is in DER format in order to be able to sign the VM. The easiest way to generate a private key and certificate is to use openssl. The following openssl commands generate a DER private key and self-signed certificate.
Note that J2ME MIDP 2.0 does not allow for self-signed applications and a valid certificate, from a certificate authority that has its root certificate present on the device, should be used.
Uploading to deployment platform
In order to use your signing key/certificate you have to upload it to the deployment platform. After logging in navigate to:
RAMP VM CONFIG->VM Signing->NEW SIGNING PARAMS
The following must be set:
- Private key: The DER format of your private key.
- Certificate: The DER format of your certificate.
- Capability groups: This defines the set of RAMP VMs that will be signed with the key and associated certificate.
- Name: The name of your signing key/certificate on the deployment platform.
- Version: The version of your signing key/certificate on the deployment platform.
- Description: A brief description of the signing key/certificate.